National Jelly Roll Day
September is National sewing month. Saturday September 15 has been declared National Jelly Roll Day.
Here are a few ideas to celebrate the day by sewing using a Jelly roll:
- This is the basic jelly roll race with the addition of appliqued flowers. You could change that up to a design that suits the recipient of the quilt - a tractor, a few hearts on one side, an African animal, a barn and a few cows - your imagination is limitless!
- There are many variations on Rail fence quilts. You decide on the block size.
- 4 strip shuffle. Decide on the size of the block. Here is a tutorial to get you started: 4 row Jelly Roll shuffle tutorial
- Jordan Fabrics has a free pattern using a Jelly roll to make log cabins with stars, and pinwheels in the border. A bit more challenge for an experienced quilter. This link takes you to the PDF to download the pattern: Starry Log Cabin pattern link
- The last pattern is the most complex. I am in love with the Lone Star pattern. Jordan fabrics has a tutorial on how to make one of these beautiful blocks.